Table of Contents
S Mode is a new feature introduced by Microsoft in Windows 10. It is more like a locked-down version of Windows. The main purpose is to improve the security and performance on Windows. Windows 11 S Mode only allows you to install apps from the Microsoft Store. As a result, it is more secure in Windows 11 S Mode as it does blocks installation and running of third-party apps.
What is Windows 11 S Mode?
Windows 11 S Mode is a special mode that is designed to improve the security and performance of Windows 11. When you enable Windows 11 S Mode, your computer will only be able to run apps that are downloaded from the Microsoft Store. This can help to improve the stability of your computer, as well as protect you from malware and other security threats.
There are a few things to keep in mind if you’re considering enabling Windows 11 S Mode. First, you will only be able to run apps that are available in the Microsoft Store. This means that you won’t be able to run traditional desktop applications, such as Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop. You’ll also need to be connected to the internet to download apps from the Microsoft Store.
Benefits of Windows 11 S Mode
Windows 11 S Mode is a locked-down version of Windows 11 that only allows apps from the Microsoft Store. This mode is designed for security and performance, and it’s becoming more popular as a way to keep devices running smoothly and securely. Here are some of the benefits of using Windows 11 S Mode:
1. Increased security: One of the main benefits of using Windows 11 S Mode is the increased security it offers. By only allowing apps from the Microsoft Store, you can be sure that your device is less vulnerable to malware and other security threats.
2. Better performance: Another benefit of using Windows 11 S Mode is that it can help improve the performance of your device. By limiting the number of apps and services running in the background, S Mode can help your device run more smoothly and quickly.
3. Extended battery life: Another advantage of Windows 11 S Mode is that it can help extend the battery life of your device. By limiting the number of apps and services running in the background, S Mode can help reduce the amount of power your device uses, which can help prolong its battery life.
4. Easy to use: One of the great things about Windows 11 S Mode is that it’s very easy to use. If you’re not familiar with the Microsoft Store, it’s very straightforward to find and install apps. And, if you ever need to install an app from outside the Store, it’s easy to switch out of S Mode.
5. Free to use: Windows 11 S Mode is free to use. You don’t need to pay anything extra to use it, and there are no subscription fees.
If you’re looking for a more secure and efficient way with Windows 11, S Mode is a great option. It offers increased security, better performance, and extended battery life, and it’s very easy to use. Best of all, it’s free to use.
Downsides of Windows 11 S Mode
First, you can only install apps from the Microsoft Store. This means that you won’t be able to install your favorite desktop apps, such as Google Chrome or iTunes. You’ll also be limited to using Microsoft Edge as your default web browser.
Second, you won’t be able to customize your settings as much as you can in regular Windows 11. For example, you won’t be able to change your default web browser or disable certain Windows features.
Third, Windows 10 S Mode is only available on certain devices. So, if you want to use Windows 10 S Mode, you’ll need to buy a new device that’s compatible with it.
How Do I Know If My Windows 11 PC Has S Mode?
According to Microsoft online document, Windows 11 S mode is available on PC based on Intel, AMD and Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. This means most of Windows 11 PCs are able to get into S mode by default.
How to Get into S Mode on Windows 11 PC
If you’re running Windows 11 Pro, you can follow the same steps to get into S Mode as you would with Windows 11 S. However, if you’re running Windows 11 Home, you’ll need to do a few extra steps.
First, go to Settings on desktop and click on Update & Security. From there, click on the Activation tab on the left side of the window. On the right side of the window, you’ll see a section called "Switch to Windows 11 S." Click on the link that says "Go to the Store."
Once you’re in the Store, you’ll need to search for "Windows 11 S." The first result should be the official listing from Microsoft. Click on the "Get" button and the process will begin. Once it’s finished, you’ll be prompted to restart your computer. After restart, your PC will be in Windows 11 S mode.
How to Switch out S Mode on Windows 11 PC
If you’re using Windows 11 in S Mode, you can switch to the regular version of Windows 11 by following these steps:
1. Open Settings app on your Windows 11 PC .
2. Select Update & Security > Activation.
3. Under "Switch to Windows 10 Home or Pro," select Go to the Store. (If you don’t see this option, you’re not using S Mode.)
4. On the Microsoft Store page, click on Get button.
5. Follow the instructions on the page to switch out of S Mode.
Keep in mind that switching out of S Mode is a one-way process. Once you’ve done it, you won’t be able to go back to S Mode. So if you find that you need the extra security and reliability that S Mode provides, you’ll have to reinstall Windows 11 from scratch.
How to Disable S Mode in Windows 11
Windows 11 S Mode is a new mode in the Windows operating system that is designed to improve security and performance. This mode is similar to the Windows 10 S Mode, but with some additional features. One of the main differences between Windows 11 S Mode and Windows 10 S Mode is that Windows 11 S Mode can be disabled. This means that you can use any app or program that is not available in the Windows Store.
To disable Windows 11 S Mode, follow these steps:
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Click on the System category.
3. Click on the S Mode tab.
4. Click on the Disable S Mode button.
5. Follow the prompts to confirm that you want to disable S Mode.
Once S Mode is disabled, you will be able to use any app or program on your computer, including those that are not available in the Windows Store. Keep in mind that disabling S Mode may impact the security and performance of your computer, so you should only do this if you are sure that you want to use apps from outside the Windows Store.
Is It Worth Keeping S Mode in Windows 11?
S mode is a special mode in Windows 11. This can be useful if you want to make sure that your computer is only running apps that are trusted and verified by Microsoft. However, it can also be restrictive if you want to use apps that are not available in the Microsoft Store.
There are a few pros and cons to using S mode on your Windows 11 computer.
Pros of S Mode:
• All apps on your computer are verified by Microsoft and are safe to use.
• Improve the performance of computer by only running apps that are designed to work well with Windows 11.
•Protect the computer from malware and other security threats.
Cons of S Mode:
• Unable to use the preferred apps if they are not available in the Microsoft Store.
• Limit the ability to customize a computer and make changes to the settings.
• Unable to take full advantage of your computer’s hardware if you are using S mode.
Ultimately, whether or not you should use S mode on your Windows 11 computer depends on your needs and preferences. If you want a more secure and streamlined experience, then S mode may be right for you. However, if you need more flexibility and customization, then you may want to avoid S mode.
YouTube Tutorial: What is S mode? Is it worth keeping?
Frequently Asked Questions about S Mode
Can I use Chrome in S mode?
No, you cannot use Chrome in S mode.
Can you use zoom in S mode?
No, you cannot use Zoom in S mode. However, you can use Zoom web version in the Edge browser that comes with Windows 11
How long does it take to switch out of S mode?
It only takes a few minutes to switch out of S mode.
Can I use Gmail in Windows 11 S Mode?
Yes, you can use Gmail in Windows 11 S Mode. However, you will need to use the Gmail app for Windows 11 S Mode, which can be downloaded from the Microsoft Store.
How does S mode affect performance?
S mode affects performance by limiting the apps that can be used on the device to those that are available in the Microsoft Store. This can help improve performance by reducing the number of apps that are running in the background.
What happens if I switch my computer out of S mode?
If you switch your computer out of S mode, you will be able to install any apps from any source. However, you will not be able to reinstall Windows 11 in S mode.
Windows 11 S is a new mode of Windows 11 that is designed for security and performance. This mode is similar to the Windows 11Home mode but with a few key differences. One of the biggest differences is that Windows 11 S will only run apps from the Windows Store. This means that you will not be able to install any apps from the internet or from other sources. Windows 11 S is also designed to be faster and more secure. It will not allow you to change any settings that could potentially make your computer less secure.
If you are looking for a more secure and faster Windows 11 experience, then you should consider using Windows 11S mode. This mode is perfect for those who want to use their computer for basic tasks such as browsing the internet, using Microsoft Office, and watching videos. If you need more advanced features, then you can always upgrade to Windows 11 Pro.