Table of Contents
Model iPhones such as iPhone 14 and iPhone 13 are shipped with an eSIM card by default. Hence, the use of eSIM technology is becoming increasingly popular in the world of mobile communications. An eSIM, or embedded SIM, is a chip that is embedded into a device and allows it to connect to a cellular network without the need for a physical SIM card.
However, not all countries support eSIM technology even in nowadays. As a traveller, you might wonder if it is OK to use an US eSIM in the United Kingdom? You will find the right answer in this article.
What is an eSIM and How Does It Work?
An eSIM (Embedded Subscriber Identity Module) is a digital SIM card that is embedded into a device, such as a smartphone, tablet, or laptop. It is a secure, virtual SIM card that allows you to connect to a mobile network without the need for a physical SIM card.
An eSIM works by connecting to a mobile network operator’s network and allowing you to access their services. It does this by using a unique identifier, known as an International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI). This IMSI is stored on the eSIM and is used to authenticate the device to the network.
The eSIM is programmed remotely by the mobile network operator, and can be used to switch between different networks and different plans. This makes it easier to switch between different mobile networks and plans, as you don’t need to physically change the SIM card.
The eSIM also has a number of benefits, such as being more secure than a physical SIM card, as it is not vulnerable to being lost or stolen. It also allows you to store multiple profiles on the same device, so you can switch between different networks and plans without having to change the SIM card.
Is eSIM Better than Physical SIM Card?
eSIM technology has many advantages over traditional physical SIM cards, and is quickly becoming the preferred choice for many users.
One of the main advantages of eSIM technology is its convenience. With an eSIM, users do not need to worry about carrying a physical SIM card with them, as the eSIM is embedded into their device. This makes it much easier to switch between different networks, as users do not need to physically swap out their SIM cards. Additionally, eSIMs are typically much more secure than physical SIM cards, as they are not vulnerable to physical tampering.
Another advantage of eSIMs is that they are much more cost-effective than physical SIM cards. Since eSIMs are embedded into a device, there is no need to purchase a physical SIM card, which can be expensive. Additionally, eSIMs are much more flexible than physical SIM cards, as users can easily switch between different networks without having to purchase a new SIM card.
Is an eSIM Free?
What is the Disadvantage of eSIM?
The main disadvantage of eSIM is that it is not compatible with all devices. eSIMs are only available on certain devices and require specific hardware and software to be installed. Additionally, eSIMs are not as widely available as traditional SIM cards, which means that it may be difficult to find an eSIM compatible device in certain areas. Furthermore, eSIMs are more expensive than traditional SIM cards, which can be a deterrent for some users. Finally, eSIMs are not as secure as traditional SIM cards, as they are more vulnerable to hacking and other malicious activities.
Can eSIM Work without Internet?
No, an eSIM cannot work without an internet connection. An eSIM is a type of embedded SIM card that is programmed with a user’s mobile subscription information and is used to connect to a cellular network. This means that in order for an eSIM to function, it must be connected to a cellular network and have access to the internet. Without an internet connection, the eSIM would not be able to access the cellular network, and thus would not be able to make or receive calls or texts. Additionally, without an internet connection, the eSIM would not be able to access any of the features associated with the user’s mobile subscription, such as data, text, and voice services.
Which iPhone Comes with eSIM?
In fact, not all iPhones come with eSIM due to hardware and software limitations. eSIM technology requires specific hardware components, such as a secure element, to be present in the device in order to work. Additionally, the device must be running the latest version of iOS in order to support eSIM. Older iPhone models may not have the necessary hardware components or the latest iOS version, making them incompatible with eSIM. Additionally, some carriers may not support eSIM on certain iPhone models. Only the following models are fully compatible with eSIM:
- iPhone 14/Plus/Pro/Pro Max
- iPhone 13/Mini/Pro/Pro Max
- iPhone 12/Mini/Pro/Pro Max
- iPhone 11/Pro/Pro Max
- iPhone XS/XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone SE 3 (2023)
- iPhone SE 2 (2020)
Warning: Make sure your iPhone is carrier unlocked! In fact, most of the iPhones purchased from Best Buy/Walmart/eBay/Target are not unlocked technically. However, there is no problem for iPhones sold by Apple or Apple Retail Store. Please contact the seller for confirmation if you have question to this matter.
Can You Use iPhone US eSIM Card in the UK?
Yes, you can use an iPhone US eSIM card in the UK. eSIM is a great option for travelers, as it allows you to easily switch between different networks without having to physically swap out your SIM card.
When using an iPhone US eSIM card in the UK, you will need to make sure that the network you are connecting to is compatible with the eSIM. This can be done by checking with your network provider to make sure they support eSIMs. Additionally, you will need to make sure that the eSIM is properly activated on the network you are connecting to.
Once the eSIM is activated, you will be able to use it like a regular SIM card. You will be able to make and receive calls and texts, as well as access the internet. You will also be able to use any of the features that are available on the network you are connected to.
UK Carriers that Support US eSIM on iPhone
1. EE: a UK-based mobile network operator that supports US eSIM for iPhone. It offers a range of plans and services, including unlimited data, international roaming, and flexible contracts. With Three, you can activate your US eSIM and connect to the network in minutes, without the need for a physical SIM card.
2. 02: A leading mobile network provider in the UK, offering a range of services including voice, data, and mobile broadband. O2 provides customers with a range of plans, including pay monthly, pay as you go, and SIM-only deals. O2 also offers a range of devices, including smartphones, tablets, and wearables, as well as a range of accessories. O2 also offers a range of services, such as O2 Priority, O2 Travel, and O2 Money. O2 also partners with a range of companies, such as Apple, Samsung, and Sony, to offer customers exclusive deals and discounts.
3. Three: A popular mobile network provider based in the United Kingdom. It is owned by CK Hutchison Holdings, a multinational conglomerate based in Hong Kong. Three Mobile offers a range of services including mobile phone contracts, pay-as-you-go plans, and broadband services. It also offers a range of mobile phones, tablets, and other devices. Three Mobile has a network of over 20 million customers across the UK, making it one of the largest mobile network providers in the country. Three Mobile is known for its competitive pricing, reliable network coverage, and excellent customer service.
4. Vodafone: A top mobile network provider in the United Kingdom. Vodafone offers a range of services to its customers, including voice and data services, as well as a range of mobile devices and accessories. It has over 20 million customers and provides coverage to over 99% of the UK population. Vodafone is committed to providing customers with the best possible service, and has a range of tariffs, plans and packages to suit all needs. In addition, it also offers a range of services and features, such as international roaming, mobile broadband, and a range of apps and services.
5. Sky Mobile: A mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) owned by Sky, the UK’s leading entertainment company. Sky Mobile offers customers a range of mobile plans, including pay-as-you-go, pay-monthly, and SIM-only options. Sky Mobile also offers customers a range of handsets from leading manufacturers such as Apple, Samsung, and Huawei, as well as a range of accessories. Sky Mobile customers benefit from Sky’s award-winning customer service, as well as a range of exclusive offers and discounts. Sky Mobile also offers customers the ability to roll over unused data, as well as the ability to share data with other Sky Mobile customers.
Video: Why use an eSIM when traveling abroad and how to do it!
Bonus: How Do I Convert My SIM to eSIM?
Converting your SIM card to an eSIM is becoming increasingly popular as more people move away from traditional SIM cards. An eSIM (embedded SIM) is a digital SIM card that is embedded directly into your device, allowing you to switch carriers without having to physically switch out your SIM card. Here’s a guide to help you convert your SIM to an eSIM.
Step 1: Contact Your Carrier
The first step to converting your SIM to an eSIM is to contact your carrier. Depending on your carrier, you may need to fill out a form or provide proof of identity to get the process started. Once you’ve provided the necessary information, your carrier will provide you with an eSIM profile that you can download to your device.
Step 2: Download the eSIM Profile
Once you’ve received the eSIM profile from your carrier, you’ll need to download it to your device. Depending on your device, the process may vary, so make sure to check your device’s user manual for instructions. Once you’ve downloaded the profile, you’ll be able to activate it and start using your eSIM.
Step 3: Activate the eSIM
Once you’ve downloaded the eSIM profile, you’ll need to activate it. Depending on your device, the process may vary, so make sure to check your device’s user manual for instructions. Once you’ve activated the eSIM, you’ll be able to start using it right away.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does eSIM work without SIM card?
Yes. eSIM works independently without a physical SIM Card.
How do I get a eSIM?
You can get an eSIM from your wireless carrier or from a third-party provider. Your carrier will provide you with a QR code or a link to activate the eSIM. You can also purchase an eSIM from a third-party provider, such as Apple or Google, and activate it on your device.
How much does eSIM cost?
The cost of an eSIM varies depending on your wireless carrier and the type of plan you choose. Generally, an eSIM plan will cost the same as a traditional SIM card plan.
Do all phones accept eSIM?
No, not all phones accept eSIMs. Currently, only certain Apple, Google, and Samsung phones support eSIMs.
Which eSIM is best?
The best eSIM for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. You should consider factors such as cost, coverage, data speeds, and customer service when choosing the best eSIM for you.
eSIM card is much more convenient than physical SIM card. This is especially true for travellers. And you can use an US eSIM card in the UK without additional settings for iPhone! Though eSIM is not free, it does offer a convenient and cost-effective way to connect to a mobile network. With an eSIM, users can easily switch between different networks without having to purchase a new physical SIM card. Additionally, eSIMs are becoming increasingly popular, as they are more secure and allow users to access multiple networks without having to carry multiple physical SIM cards.