Table of Contents
For installing Windows 11, an internet connection is necessary to download important updates and set up an account. But if you don’t have an internet connection, the installation process might get stuck at the stage where it asks to connect to a network. Luckily, there are several methods available to overcome this hurdle and continue with the installation of Windows 11 even without a network connection.
1. Check Internet Connection on Windows 11
If you’re unable to connect to any network on the "Let’s connect you to a network" screen during the Windows setup, it may indicate a problem with the network connection rather than the computer itself.
To verify whether the issue is with your Wi-Fi network, try to connect another device, like a smartphone, to the Wi-Fi. If this device also fails to access the internet, it’s a strong indicator that the problem lies with the Wi-Fi network. In such a situation, a common fix is to restart your Wi-Fi router. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, it may be necessary to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for further assistance. This approach helps in determining whether the issue is with your specific Windows setup or with the network in general.
If you’re attempting to connect via a wired connection and encountering issues, first ensure that your Ethernet cable is in good condition and properly connected at both ends. Sometimes, simply unplugging and then reconnecting the cable can resolve the issue.
In the event that none of the solutions work, another option is to use your mobile device’s hotspot to connect your Windows PC to the internet. If your computer doesn’t recognize the mobile hotspot on the network setup screen, this might indicate a more complex problem with your computer’s network settings, drivers, or internal hardware components. In such cases, exploring common fixes for Wi-Fi connectivity issues might help diagnose and solve the problem.
If you’re unable to establish an internet connection, you will need to proceed with the Windows 11 installation offline. After successfully installing Windows 11 without an internet connection, a simple restart of your computer might resolve the network issues, as Windows will attempt to reconnect with the network drivers upon restarting.
2. Create a Windows 11 Bootable USB Not Requiring Internet
Ventoy is a free and useful tool that allows you to create a bootable USB drive for installing Windows 11, and it’s especially useful for installations without an internet connection. To get started, first download and install Ventoy onto a USB drive. You can find the latest version of Ventoy on its official website. After downloading, run the Ventoy installer and select your USB drive in the interface. The installer will format the drive and install Ventoy on it, so ensure any important data on the USB is backed up beforehand.
Once Ventoy is installed on your USB drive, the next step is to download the Windows 11 ISO file from the official Microsoft website. After downloading the ISO, simply copy it to the root directory of your Ventoy-enabled USB drive. There’s no need for further extraction or file manipulation; Ventoy is designed to boot directly from ISO files.
To install Windows 11, insert the bootable USB drive into the target computer and boot from it. You may need to access the boot menu or BIOS settings of the computer to boot from the USB drive. Once booted from the USB, Ventoy will present a menu where you can select the Windows 11 ISO file. Proceed with the installation as usual. With Ventoy, you can bypass the need for an internet connection during the initial installation phase of Windows 11, making it a great tool for offline installations.
3. Bypass the Internet Requirement in CMD
If you’re faced with the "Let’s connect you to a network" screen during Windows 11 installation and can’t connect to a network, you can bypass this requirement using a Command Prompt trick. Here’s how to do it:
- Access Command Prompt: While on the "Let’s connect you to a network" screen, press
Shift + F10. This keyboard shortcut opens the Command Prompt.
- Enter the Bypass Command: In the Command Prompt window, type the command
OOBE\BYPASSNROand then press
- Computer Restart: After executing this command, your computer will restart. You will have to select your region and keyboard layout again.
- Reaching the Network Setup Screen Again: When you return to the network setup screen after the restart, you’ll now see an option stating "I don’t have internet". Click on this to continue with the Windows 11 installation process without needing an internet connection.
It’s important to remember that when you install Windows 11 without an internet connection, you’ll be setting up a local user account, not a Microsoft account. However, once the installation is complete and you have access to an internet connection, you can easily switch to a Microsoft account later.
4. Stop the Network Connection Flow Process
The network connection flow is a vital part of the Windows setup process, especially in Windows 11. This process is designed to detect and configure network connections on your computer, facilitating the download of crucial updates during installation.
If you wish to install Windows 11 without connecting to the internet and without installing updates at that moment, you can disable the network connection flow. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Command Prompt: When you’re at the "Let’s connect you to a network" screen during the installation process, press
Shift + F10. This key combination opens the Command Prompt.
- Open Task Manager: Once the Command Prompt is open, you can launch Task Manager from there. You can do this by typing
taskmgrin the Command Prompt and pressing
Enter. This will open the Task Manager window.
- Disable the Network Connection Flow: In Task Manager, you can then look for the process related to the network connection flow and disable it. This will bypass the requirement for an internet connection during the installation process.
However, it’s important to note that disabling the network connection flow and installing Windows 11 without an internet connection means you won’t receive important updates during installation. These updates often include security patches and driver updates that are crucial for the optimal performance and security of your system. You can always download and install these updates after completing the installation and connecting to the internet.
Once you’ve managed to bypass the "Let’s connect you to a network" screen during the Windows 11 installation, the installation process will continue without the requirement of an internet connection. Successfully navigating past this screen marks a significant step in the installation process, allowing you to proceed with setting up Windows 11.
After completing the Windows 11 installation, it’s a good idea to consider downloading and installing some essential applications that can significantly enhance your computing experience and workflow. These applications might include:
- Web Browsers: Chrome, Firefox, or Edge for better internet browsing experiences.
- Office Suite: Microsoft Office or alternatives like LibreOffice for document, spreadsheet, and presentation needs.
- Security Software: Reliable antivirus or security software to protect your system.
- Media Players: VLC or similar media players for audio and video playback.
- Cloud Storage Services: Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive for cloud storage and file syncing.
- Communication Tools: Skype, Zoom, or Microsoft Teams for online communication.
- PDF Readers: Adobe Acrobat Reader or similar for viewing and managing PDF files.
- Image Editors: Basic image editing tools like GIMP or Paint.NET.
- File Compression Tools: WinRAR or 7-Zip for compressing and extracting files.
- System Utilities: CCleaner or similar for system optimization and maintenance.
Remember to download these applications from their official websites or trusted sources to ensure you’re getting genuine, malware-free software. Installing these basic yet crucial applications will set you up for a more efficient and productive use of your new Windows 11 computer.